Azure, like all the other cloud providers, have a huge range of different services to achieve essentially the same thing, each with a wide range of pricing options. This is great because you can get exactly the right service for your needs and pay exactly the right amount. But when there are at least eight different ways just to host a website, and with the most expensive of those options being 100x more expensive than the cheapest then this flexibility can become a challenge when you just need to get stuff done and you often end up paying much more than you need to.
Frans has personally worked with a number of organisations to analyse and optimise their Azure spend, often reducing their bill by anywhere from 30% all the way up to 80%. Some savings are easy - just change a few options - others require changes to the architecture of the system.
In this talk, I will share what I have learnt so you can put it into practice and start saving!
The talk will give you an overview of:
- How to analyse your Azure spend to figure out what it is that is costing so much.
- A check-list to help you figure out if you can reduce the cost of individual services you already have.
- Some simple architectural patterns that can drastically reduce your spend in any cloud.
Frans Lytzen is the CTO and CISO at NewOrbit and has been moving software to the cloud since 2006. He's architected and implemented both large and small-scale software for our customers, all running on Microsoft Azure. He's obsessed with security, performance and scalability. Also, penny-pinching in the cloud!
- Corriculo Recruitment - Kindly covering the venue, drinks, and helping us at each event
- Everstack - Dan's company, helping organise and manage the user group
- JetBrains - Prize draw sponsor (any JB product the winner likes)
- Manning Books - Prize draw sponsor (ebook of winner's choice)
- Packt - Prize draw sponsor (ebook of winner's choice)